Disk setup advice

Hi there!

I’m setting up a new PVE cluster and looking for some best practices advice on the disk setup.

I have 3 identical HPE servers all fitted with Smart Array P440ar Raid controllers and 8 SSD disks.

As I see there are two routes I can take for the disk setup;

1. Set up volume using HW RAID on each server and put DRDB on a partition
  2. Enable HBA to expose the disks directly to Proxmox, one SSD for the OS, and set up the remaining SSDs as a ZFS RAID volume for DRDB.

Are both fine or does one have an advantage over the other?

Any other tips are also welcome of course :pray:

Thanks!

Since you have a full 3 node setup, did you consider using ceph? If the hardware requirements are satisfied, I prefer a hyperconverged PVE+Ceph for a general purpose virtualization cluster. (There is a guide in the Proxmox Wiki how to install that). At least a 10 GbE Storage Network for Ceph is highly recommended. A small Cluster like yours will probably work very well with LinStor/DRBD with a dedicated 1 GbE Network.

For a comparison for LinStor / Ceph, you may look at the LINBIT blog:
See Blog article: How does LinStor compare to Ceph?

A general recommendation from my side is to generally use 2 ssds for the OS either as hardware raid or software raid, as you prefer. (The SSDs for the OS may be cheaper models, not the expensive, high duration, high capacity, enterprise SSDs)

1 Like

I would start with exploring LINSTOR and using our storage plugin for Proxmox:

Here’s a quick overview of some things you can do with LINSTOR and Proxmox:

Either way will work. If you have a hardware RAID card that pairs nicely with the drives in your servers, that is still a valid option. Some prefer ZFS, or spec their systems to build RAID-Z arrays.

A good question to ask yourself - If you built a single Proxmox node without replication or high availability, would you choose ZFS or your hardware RAID controller? DRBD/LINSTOR tends to be fairly agnostic about the storage layer underneath.

Keep in mind using ZFS with LINSTOR only uses ZVOLs, not the ZFS dataset/filesystem functionality. It is merely a way to slice up the storage in the system for replicated virtual machine disk images.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into both options!